For more information, you can contact us directly on WhatsApp by clicking on the button below
Gastronomy and Culinary Arts
Since ancient times, people have been interested in what they eat and drink. Indeed, food is still a field of competition between different civilizations and cultures because each country has its own culture of food and drink. It is natural, after the general trend towards professionalism in all sectors and fields, that we find a major that teaches Gastronomy and Culinary Arts in most international universities.
Gastronomy and Culinary arts Program are undergoing rapid professionalization both in Turkey and the world. At the same time, Gastronomy is not just a profession but also a form of art. Gastronomy experts do not only offer tasty dishes to people, they also offer a good time and an enjoyable experience.
Gastronomy and Culinary arts Program are a discipline that encompasses many aspects such as foods that are used in gastronomy and culinary arts, their combinations, food process by using proper cooking methods in addition to dealing with Eastern and Western Cuisines, the principles of restaurant management, and the commercial side of foods and beverages.
Besides the theoretical study offered by Gastronomy and Culinary Arts, such as social sciences, food properties and culinary theories, it includes the practical aspect where students spend long hours learning the principles and various culinary arts.
Duration of study:
Gastronomy and Culinary Arts students study four years in most international universities as well as Turkish universities that have a long history in this field thanks to Turkish Cuisine.
Importance of Gastronomy and Culinary Arts:
We find many professional chefs in all parts of the world achieving global fame equal to that of football players and artists, and some even go beyond that, as the restaurants in which they work in become the preferred destination for people due to people’s interest in food and their curiosity to taste new foods. Social media has played a great role in increasing people’s desire to learn culinary arts, until it has become the first destination for young people who possess a distinct talent and creativity.
The world is witnessing intense competition in the art of gastronomy to provide the most delicious food by relying on professional people. Most importantly, the prevailing trend of restaurants has become to attract academic graduates in this field to obtain the best quality, due to the intense competition between restaurants in providing the best food they have.
All of the above indicates the increasing importance of Gastronomy and Culinary Arts among university majors because success stands with those who choose their staff properly.
Gastronomy and Culinary Arts Curriculum:
Students study a range of scientific and practical courses to combine academic study with practical experience. The titles of some subjects may differ between universities, and this is a sample curriculum for the Gastronomy and Culinary Arts major:
- First Year: Introduction to Gastronomy and Culinary Arts – Food Safety – Introduction to Social Sciences – Basic Principles of Law – Introduction to Business Administration – Kitchen Chemistry – Kitchen Mathematics and Basic Statistical Analysis – Introduction to Bakery Products – Basic Principles of Economics.
- Second year: Gastronomy and Culinary Practice – Basic principles of Nutrition – Food and Beverage Services – Characteristics of Food – Confectionery Techniques – Introduction to Beverages – Basic Principles of Marketing – History of Gastronomy.
- Third year: Turkish Cuisine – Principles of Entrepreneurship – Management Accounting – Summer Training – (A Set of Optional subjects).
- Fourth year: Regional Cuisine – Menu Management – Food Policies and Legislation – Recipe Development and Presentation Skills – Summer Training – Graduation Project.
- Gastronomy and Culinary Arts graduates can work in the following fields:
- Cruise ships.
- TV channels.
- Private work.
The international scene is witnessing intense competition in the art of cooking and art of cooking at all levels to provide the most delicious possible, relying on professional people in preparing food items. And prove oneself in this atmosphere full of competition.